SS Dance & Wellbeing, created by freelance dance practitioner Sophie Simpson, is a community business with a key focus on the importance of improving the health and wellbeing of Yorkshire communities through the implementation of dance movement.
SS Dance & Wellbeings objective is to minimise in-activity, isolation and low mental wellbeing by use of dance movement therapy and dance fitness activities that are accessible to a wide range of people, communities and organisations.
SS Dance & Wellbeing focuses on inspiring peoples wellbeing through these key areas providing:
- Accessible Dance Sessions in Mental Health Hubs
- Low Impact Dance and Exercise for Older People
- Healthy Minds In The Workplace
- Community Dance with Isolated BAME Groups
- Improving In-activity and Isolation in Local Communities
- Young Peoples Mental Health and Fitness
SS Dance and Wellbeing is implementing dance into the community to tackle the growing concerns of low mental health. We promote the beneficial impact dance can have on your physical, emotional and mental wellbeing. As Chief Wellbeing Officer, Sophie Simpson has a wealth of experience within dance delivery having gained a BA Honours degree in Dance Studies, with specialisms in Community Dance, Dance Business and Choreography & Performance. She specialises in work with older adults having gained qualifications in Chair-based Exercise for Frail and Elderly and Later Life Falls Prevention Exercise training. She also has level 2 qualifications in Mental Health Awareness and Health & Wellbeing.
Sophie found that from a young age she struggled to deal with processing lots of information. Her mind would switch off and she would easily loose concentration when becoming slightly stressed or felt levels of anxiety. Being involved in creative tasks was the only thing that she excelled at and it was the only thing that kept her occupied for long periods of time.
Dance became the key, she began to notice changes in her mood and mindset when participating in creative physical activity. After dance classes or teaching she would feel more productive and have an all-round positive attitude. Over the years dance has grown into a passion and has become something that now fuels everything Sophie is associated with.
Creating a career in dance was always the vision - since leaving university Sophie has been on an incredible dance journey... Teaching in primary and secondary schools across England, working a dance and delivery development role with the local council and a regional team officer role with a North East community interest company. Sophie found a passion within health and wellbeing so decided to pursue her dream of creating and running a community business that is about uplifting others through dance. In April 2017 SS Dance & Wellbeing was born... A business built on passion; dance and it's potential to improve health and happiness in a wide range of people. In October 2018 Sophie graduated and became a fellow of the The School for Social Entreprenuers programme in partnership with Lloyds Bank and the Big Lottery Fund, giving her the opportunity to build a commuinty business that aims to make a social change.
The purpose of SS Dance & Wellbeing is to give people that simple but effective sense of escapism through participation in dance, movement and fitness sessions and to inspire people to empower themselves to improve their own physical and mental wellbeing.
Our social mission is about doing the right thing; our values are about doing this in the right way. We'll be committed to living our values every day and they'll help us in the following ways:
- Making sure that we provide great services in the SS Dance & Wellbeing way.
- Allow us to have the confidence to challenge people but also to genuinely praise and thank them too.
- Create wider change in our communities by asking our partner organisations and suppliers to live our values in all their interactions with us and those who access our services.
Our values are:
- PASSION: we are a business that is committed to inspiring people to have the motivation and enthusiasm to embrace and enjoy life. We will demonstrate our positivity and passion to those who access our services and to all our partners and participants.
- COMPASSION: we will always seek to genuinely understand the needs of others, in how we deliver our services and in how we work. We hope our compassion and respect will help others feel comfortable with being vulnerable because it's when people feel safe to be open that we can truly do our best for them.
- CREATIVITY: dance is all about creativity - each person and each group that accesses our services may interpret the same dance in a completely different way. We'll support people to unleash their inner creativity in the way we run our business, the way we deliver our services and in the way we work with others to find solutions to improving the health and wellbeing of communities.
- Birstall Community Centre, Market Street, Birstall, WF17 9EN
- 19:15 - 20:00
- Active Communities
- The United Reformed Church, Nestfield Road, Belle Isle, Leeds, LS10 3LG
- 09:45 - 10:45
- Older Peoples Health
- KNH Syke Fold Grange, Cleckheaton, BD19 5DP
- 09:30 - 10:30
- Older Peoples Health
Have a question? Ask Away!
We'll get back in touch with you ASAP! Use our contact form or give us a call on 07748 396070